Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions that we commonly encounter with clients.



1. What are taxes?

Taxes are compulsory financial charges imposed by governments on individuals and businesses to fund public expenditures. These expenditures can include infrastructure, healthcare, education, defense, and social welfare programs. Taxes are essential for the functioning of government and the provision of public services.

2. What types of taxes do I have to pay?
There are various types of taxes imposed by governments, including income tax, sales tax, property tax, payroll tax, and corporate tax. The specific types of taxes you have to pay depend on your income, financial activities, and jurisdiction.
3. When is the tax filing deadline?
The tax filing deadline varies depending on the type of tax and your jurisdiction. In the United States, for example, the deadline to file individual income tax returns is typically April 15th, unless it falls on a weekend or holiday, in which case it may be extended. It's important to check with your local tax authority for the specific deadlines applicable to you.
4. What documents do I need to file my taxes?
The documents you need to file your taxes vary depending on your individual or business circumstances. Common documents include W-2 forms (for employees), 1099 forms (for contractors), investment statements, receipts for deductible expenses, and any other relevant financial documents. It's essential to gather all necessary documents before filing your taxes to ensure accuracy and compliance.
5. What deductions and credits am I eligible for?
Deductions and credits can help reduce your taxable income and lower your tax liability. Common deductions include mortgage interest, charitable contributions, and business expenses. Credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit, directly reduce the amount of tax you owe. Eligibility for deductions and credits varies based on your individual circumstances and tax laws.
6. What happens if I can't pay my taxes on time?
If you're unable to pay your taxes in full by the deadline, you should still file your tax return on time to avoid penalties for late filing. You can explore options such as setting up a payment plan with the tax authority or applying for an extension to pay. Ignoring your tax obligations can result in additional penalties and interest charges, so it's essential to communicate with the tax authority and address your payment issues promptly.
7. How can I avoid tax scams and identity theft?
Tax scams and identity theft are prevalent, especially during tax season. Protect yourself by being vigilant and cautious of unsolicited communication claiming to be from the IRS or other tax authorities. The IRS will never contact you by phone, email, or social media to demand immediate payment or ask for personal or financial information. If you receive suspicious communication, report it to the IRS and take steps to safeguard your personal information.


1. How do I file an extension?

To file for an extension, you need to use the Form 4868. You can easily download and print a copy here from the IRS official website.

2. How long should I wait to check for my refund status?

Please wait 72 hours after your return has been accepted by the IRS. If you filed on paper, please allow 3 to 4 weeks before checking on the status of your refund. Visit the Where’s My Refund Tool.

3. When are business meals deductible?
Normally, 50% of the cost of a meal is deductible when you are traveling away from home overnight for business. Meals that are considered business related entertainment are also 50% deductible. Be aware that there is additional substantiation required for business related entertainment.
4. Can business entertainment expenses be deducted?
Expenses that are “ordinary and necessary” to entertain a customer, client or employee are deductible if certain tests are met. The expense must be either directly related to business, the main purpose of the entertainment was to conduct business and business was conducted, or the entertainment was directly before or after a considerable business discussion.
5. Is a reimbursement for a business expense considered income?
An employer reimbursement for expense is not reportable as income so long as you give your employer the receipts and a detailed accounting of the expense. You must also return any advance money that was not used.


1. Where’s my tax refund?

Check where is your Massachusetts Tax Refund here.
Check where is your Federal Tax Refund here.

2. If I claim the standard deduction, can I deduct charitable donations?

No. You can only claim charitable donations by itemizing your deductions.

3. How do I notify the IRS my address has changed?

Use Form 8822 (.pdf), Change of Address or Form 8822-B (.pdf), Change of Address or Responsible Party – Business.

4. Is there an age limit on claiming my child as a dependent?

To claim your child as your dependent, your child must meet the qualifying child test or the qualifying relative test.

5. What is a split refund?
A split refund lets you divide your refund, in any proportion you want, and direct deposit the funds into up to three different accounts with U.S. financial institutions. Use Form 8888 (.pdf), Allocation of Refund, to request to have your refund split.
6. When is the tax day deadline?

You have until April 15 of the next year to file your state and federal taxes for the current year.

7. How to find the 1095A form?

The IRS rejected your tax due to the 1095A form?

Form 1095-A provides information on the amount of advanced premium tax credit that was paid during the year towards your health plan to reduce your monthly amount paid and now these amounts need to be reported to the IRS.

This form can be under your name, your spouse’s name or even under your parents’ name.
You need to call the HealthConnector and ask them to send you the form. (877) 623-6765 or you can try to get it online which is faster. For instructions go to

8. How to Pay my Personal Federal or State Taxes?

For instructions of how to pay your taxes online or by check, please download our PDF tutorial online.

Portuguese: [Download PDF]
English: [Download PDF]
Spanish: [Download PDF]


To Your Question?